UXBRIDGE — K9 Officer Thomas B. Stockwell Jr. was so enthusiastic about a CPR and first aid training he attended last week for his K9 partner, Bear, he told Police Chief Marc Montminy afterward he thought it would be valuable to all pet owners.
“It turns out it is possible to do CPR on your dog,” Chief Montminy said in a phone interview.
Not only that, but pets can also be treated for accidental heroin ingestion, just the way human overdoses can be reversed with naloxone, which is sold as Narcan, according to the chief.
Police posted on the Uxbridge Police K9 Facebook page on Friday that the department may offer a pet CPR/first aid class at the station and wanted to gauge interest. By Sunday midday more than 30 commenters had said they’d be game.
The cost would be $75 for a four-hour course. As an added incentive, participants would get to meet K9 unit Bear in the flesh and hair.
Chief Montminy said dogs overheating when being left in parked cars is another situation in which knowing what to do quickly could help save a life.
The American Red Cross lists on its website instructions for pet CPR and first aid, which can be administered to dogs or cats. An online course covers how to recognize pet emergencies, preventive care and emergency action.